Fragrance is basically a blend of aromatic extracts from natural and synthetic ingredients. Used in nearly 50% of beauty products, it actually has a LOT of unknown toxic chemicals that can be harmful to you. Without you knowing, fragrance can irritate skin, have toxic hormonal effects, and may even cause cancer.
It’s well known from extensive research that fragrance, whether natural or synthetic, is a common sensitizing ingredient for all skin types. Yet despite this information, fragrance components lie in wait in more skincare products than you can imagine.
Here’s a list of some of the more typical fragrant ingredients that show up in skincare products. Of course, there are many more but this is a good primer to make shopping easier:
- Lavender oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Rose flower extract (Rosa damascena)
- Bergamot oil (Citrus bergamia)
- Ylang-ylang oil (Canaga odorata)
- Lemon (Citrus limon)
- Lime (Citrus aurantifolia or Citrus medica)
- Orange (Citrus sinensis)
- Tangerine (Citrus tangerine)
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
- Spearmint (Mentha spicata)
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum)